Psychogeographic Derive

Psychogeography is something that defines the way in we react from the places we go through maps, this can be in any; way, shape or form such as pictures. Guy Debord the first person who created psychogeography in 1955 stated that the idea was; "consciously organized or not, on the emotions and behavior of individuals." From this I felt that Debord wanted to prove how our surroundings affect the way in which we act or behave. I found the understanding of the psychgeorgraphic drive confusing at first as it is hard to grasp the idea around it. I decided a way in which would be easier for me to understand what psygeographic derive was; would be to research various maps that have been used in the past... I looked at one in particular which was based around the London tube station and the route the person had gone on and how they were affected by the various people sat on the tube. I also read an article by Sadie Plant in which she explains the desire that people have to show that their emotions can easily be changed by the place in which they are at and how that every person wants to be a ‘situationist’, I felt that her article explains the derive in a detailed way however it is a very one sided view and I felt that she only explains the article from her opinion and doesn’t take into account how others could be affected differently to the author.
 This lead to helping me with the idea of what I would do for my derive. I came up with different ideas but one in particular stuck out the most in my mind this idea was to walk around the town centre of Leicester and go to various places and see how my mood was affected through the smells of the places that I had been too. This didn’t seem very appealing but I thought it would be a good way to show how my mood can easily change just by the place that I am at. The first place that I thought I could start at was the market as there are so many different smells there. I used smiley faces to show how my mood became affected, this lead to how I also became a situationist because my mood changed as I moved to different surroundings. I felt that it was a good idea to do this as it reflected the way I felt quite easily and I showed how easily my mood can change.


Derive
To view my map click here

No comments:

Post a Comment